Eligibility for Infants and Toddlers
Please note that eligibility for Board provided Early Intervention Services is provided by Portage County Help Me Grow. Their contact information is:
Portage County Help Me Grow
705 Oakwood Street, Ravenna, OH 44266
330-298-4545 (phone) 330-297-4556 (fax)
Statewide Phone Humber: 1-800-755-GROW (4769)
Eligibility for all other Board services, such as the Family Support Services Program, are completed by the Board’s Intake and Eligibility Specialist (email@example.com).
Eligibility criteria for children birth through two (2) years of age:
Children birth through two (2) years of age must have an established risk condition OR exhibit at least one (1) developmental delay in an area of development.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an established risk condition?
An established risk condition is defined as a “diagnosed physical or mental condition which has a high probability of resulting in developmental delay.” Established risk conditions include for example, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, hearing loss, or fetal alcohol syndrome to name a few.
What is a developmental delay?
A developmental delay means that functional skills or age-specific tasks in developmental areas that most children can do at a certain age range have not been achieved. For example, most children are able to walk without help by 18 months of age. A child not walking by thirty-six months of age is exhibiting a developmental delay in the area of motor development.
What are devlopmental areas?
- Gross motor: using large groups of muscle to do things like sitting, standing, walking, running, etc., maintaining balance or changing positions.
- Fine motor: using one’s hands to do things like eating, drawing, dressing, playing, writing and many other things.
- Language: speaking, using gestures and body language, communicating wants, and understanding what others say.
- Cognitive: thinking skills including learning, understanding, problem-solving, reasoning, and remembering.
- Social: interacting with others, establishing relationships with family, friends, cooperating with others, and responding to the others’ feelings.